Reporting to the General Counsel, the Senior Legal Counsel will support BCLC’s ongoing business by providing legal advice and guidance on a broad spectrum of legal matters including risk assessment, compliance and legal drafting of contracts and negotiations.This role involves building influential relationships and working cooperatively with the business units it serves and other counsel.
- Identify and evaluate legal issues and recommend, develop solutions to achieve business objectives efficiently with minimum legal and practical risk.
- Resolve pending or threatened disputes between the company and third parties. Coordinate management of litigation as required.
- Understand corporate compliance and have strong commercial law skills.
- Models leadership behaviors that support the engagement of staff, and drives culture and change management initiatives.
- Drafting and/or editing correspondence, memos, internal/external briefing papers, or legal briefs.
- Establish and maintain excellent communications and working relationships within the company to ensure that advice is sought by internal clients when needed as well as with external stakeholders such as government regulators.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
Education and Experience
- Law degree and a current member in good standing of the Law Society of British Columbia.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience practicing law either in a medium/large sized firm or in a corporate legal department.
- Ability to handle a diverse range of issues and responsibilities in an accomplished and professional manner.
- Experience with general litigation would be considered an asset.
- Experience with regulatory and administrative law proceedings and commercial agreements.
- Well-developed organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Initiative and analytical skills and abilities to problem solving issues.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented approach to find solutions to legal matters.
- A proven understanding of the business priorities to be in position to address all legal needs.
- Ability to work autonomously and in a dynamic and changing environment whilst having a clear team-building spirit and focus.
- Ability to communicate to all levels of the organization in writing and in person, in both formal and informal settings.
If this sounds like you, please apply online to Posting #2012.153Senior Legal Counsel.