Aecon Infrastructure brings together state-of-the-art technology, the most recent advances in process, and an experienced team dedicated to the work we perform, ranging from road building to institutional and commercial construction. Built on innovation, we constantly challenge ourselves to meet the demands of existing markets, and anticipate how to serve emerging ones.
With hallmark projects past and present, Aecon Buildings continues to provide the GTA and southern Ontario with an extensive range of construction management services to some of today’s fast-growing industry segments, including education, healthcare, commercial and hospitality sectors. Clients from both the private and public sectors rely on Aecon’s experienced project teams for collaborative preconstruction, design-build, general contracting, tenant improvements and ongoing programs work.
Reporting to the Regional Facility Manager, the General Maintenance Technician performs general maintenance activities at multiple facilities, in an assigned region, on behalf of the client. Safety and Customer satisfaction are key elements of service delivery. Work is assigned by the Regional Facility Manager, using an automated work order system, and tickets are closed electronically by the GMT once complete.
This is a part-time opportunity with 5 hour work days.
Prioritizes and completes all assigned work orders accurately, safely and on schedule, advising manager of any issues encountered on a timely basis
Scope of work can include but is not limited to the following:
- Maintains a safe working environment to prevent incidents, accidents for the Client and their visitors. Ensures the facility is in compliance with building codes, legislative compliance and environment, health and safety standards. Complies with Client Health and Safety standards and policies.. Reports any issues to manager as a priority.
- Ensures corridors are free from obstructions
- Maintains exit signs to ensure they are functional
- Monitors fences and gates to ensure safe operation
- Monitors building window and door locks are in working order
- Monitors roadways and entrances to ensure they are kept clear for emergency services access, and to ensure no interference with proper operation of fire routes, standpipes, hydrants, parking locations and emergency access/egress
- Ensures subcontractors, inspectors and visitors comply with building access policies and client health and safety standards
- General Maintenance
- Inspections and minor repairs to assigned property interior and exterior areas, including walls, baseboard, drywall and ceiling tiles, painting.
- Hanging frames, boards, screens and fixtures
- Basic electrical such as inspecting/changing light bulbs/tubes.
- Basic plumbing such as plunging, shut-offs, water extraction from carpet or flooring, cleanup of debris to ensure a safe, clean facility
- Set-up and dismantle of meeting rooms or meeting areas
- Moving office equipment and small furniture
- Delivering office paper and stocking photocopiers and fax machines
- Assists local staff with record retention, providing and moving document boxes
- Inspection of building and washrooms to ensure Janitorial contractor has performed work as per contract, and dispensers/supplies are refilled, emptying of office waste and recycling is completed. Other general maintenance tasks as assigned
- Monitors Snow Removal contractor to ensure snow and ice removal is completed on time. Shovels and applies ice melt as required to supplement this service
- Extracts water and debris from wet floors and saturated mats if service contractor is not on site
- Waste Management- Assists with disposal of recyclable materials as required, monitors service contractor performance Assists with hazardous waste disposal as required
- Completes yard cleanups, including walkways and driveways by building entrances and doors
- Monthly inspections of fire and life safety equipment as assigned
- Escorts subcontractors, inspectors and visitors throughout Client facilities
- Perform duties with a minimum of direct supervision, and assist as a helper in other trades and in the general maintenance and operation of buildings and grounds
- Perform assigned facility inspections and due diligence efforts, reporting on conditions impacting satisfactory client occupancy and operations
- Manage assigned work orders and job completion using the IWMS system, ensuring the system data is maintained current for all assigned sites within the region
- Ensuring the facility services, activities and processes meet end user needs and expectations consistently while complying with departmental and company standards, policies and practices
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding Key Performance Indicators as established with client
- Working collaboratively with all regional peers in establishing and delivering agreed levels of service in a seamless manner to all clients
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
- Overtime may be required to meet customer requirements or complete work outside of normal office hours. Authorization of overtime to be obtained in advance from Facility Manager.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of Health and Safety, including WHMIS, CPR and First Aid (training provided)
- General Maintenance Technician certificate (or an equivalent combination of education and experience)
- Minimum three years of facilities maintenance experience in general building repair and maintenance, basic plumbing
- An overall understanding of quality customer service, a proven track record of working in multi-functional service teams, and a strong communication skills
- Must have ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs., use ladders up to 30 ft, and possess general maintenance skills, including use of small hand tools
- Frequent travel as required across the assigned region to complete assigned work orders at all assigned sites
- Strong self starter with a quality work ethic, who is customer service focused
- Flexible and open to change, ability to manage own work and prioritize in a changing environment
- Ability to complete multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with TSSA codes, applicable building codes and any other governing regulations an asset
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Familiarity with HelpDesk work order processes and willingness to learn
- Independent thinking and problem solving skills required on a daily basis as well as exceptional customer service
- Must hold a valid driver’s license
Interested candidates may apply directly through our Careers Website under "View Jobs": http://www.aecon.com/Careers/View_Jobs. You may sort by Business Unit to see this position under Buildgins GTA.