The Benefits Coordinator is responsible for administering benefit plans including medical, dental, LTD, life/AD&D insurance, flexible benefits and retirement programs to comply with plan documents and new laws (local, state, and federal). S/he will liaise between employees and benefit providers to resolve benefit issues and ensure effective utilization of the plans.
- Serves as primary resource for employees and physicians for benefit related questions. Counsels employees (and potential employees) on benefit plans so that individuals can make informed benefit elections. Assists physicians with calculation of retirement contributions limits in conjunction with UW retirement contributions.
- Manages the enrollment and benefit change processes for company benefit plans, including open enrollment materials. Ensures that all forms are completed accurately and are forwarded to the appropriate insuring/investment vehicle in a timely manner. Enters enrollment/change information for benefit plan elections into on-line enrollment systems as needed.
- Designs and conducts employee benefits orientation for employees and physicians to ensure employees are familiar with benefit plans. Ensures updated materials and information is available to Members on the Benefit and Compensation webpage.
- Maintains Human Resources Information System (HRIS); ensures accuracy in current and historical data. Processes employee status and salary changes, benefit forms, new hire and termination paperwork. Maintains highly accurate salary records.
- Designs and produces various monthly, annual and ad hoc reports using ADP Reporting.
- Processes monthly billings from insurance providers. Reviews billings for accuracy and resolves discrepancies with carriers, payroll and employees.
- Coordinates distribution of benefit packets to new employees and physicians. Ensures that benefit materials available to physicians and administrative staff is current.
- Produces termination letters explaining benefit options for both administrative and physician employees to ensure a smooth transition for out-going personnel.
- Administers continuation of insurance under COBRA including generating required notices, processing enrollments/changes and tracking payments.
- Assists with benefit plan open enrollments and other communications as needed.
- Participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Conducts business with employees, patients, the School of Medicine, physicians and outside parties in a professional appropriate manner conducive to maintaining good working relations.
- Follows all UWP policies.
- Conducts all activities with safety in mind.
- Meets attendance expectations.
- Adheres to all company policies and procedures.
- Represents UWP confidentially and professionally at all times.
- Acts in support of UWP’s Mission, Vision, and Values.
The duties and responsibilities listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- High School Diploma or equivalency
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Two (2) years experience with benefits administration and/or human resources; basic financial, accounting, or bookkeeping.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Ability to classify, record, and summarize numerical and financial data to compile and keep financial records, using journals and ledgers or computers.
- Ability to deal effectively with difficult situations, including personnel actions.
- Ability to enter, transcribe, record, sort and maintain information in written or electronic/magnetic form.
- Ability to objectively and maturely resolve employee relations issues; ability to resolve interpersonal and professional conflicts among staff.
- Ability to use relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.
- Ability to utilize root-cause analysis to make process improvement decisions and implement change.
- Able to complete detail-oriented work in a timely manner.
- Consistent exercise of discretion and judgment.
- Excellent oral and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to convey a positive and professional image in person, and to interact effectively with diverse personalities and backgrounds.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources management and leadership, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented, and able to manage multiple competing priorities with a high degree of speed and accuracy.
- Perform day-to-day administrative tasks such as maintaining information files and processing paperwork.
- Proficiency with Windows based software and Microsoft Office Suite products in a network environment.
- The ability to absorb information and form general rules or conclusions (including finding relationships among seemingly unrelated events); and to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Using relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes comply with laws, regulations, or standards.