The Intermediate Accountant delivers professional services and financial solutions within the Lottery Division and is actively working towards becoming a professional (designated) accountant.This role ensures the identification and development of recommendations for new approaches.As well, this person demonstrates regular creativity in developing innovative ways of completing work and resolving issues and continuously improving processes and procedures within the department. This position will also be responsible for supporting the Lottery operations including the preparation and review of financial analyses and reporting to internal and external stakeholders.
The Intermediate Accountant will act as a consultative partner to enable the business to deliver on business initiatives efficiently and effectively.
- Conducts varied and moderately complex accounting work by proactively assessing and anticipating the needs of the department and providing advice and solutions related to the review of journal entries, internal reporting and other daily and monthly operating activities in order to translate these needs into results and customer satisfaction.
- Actively participates in the development of recommendations for new approaches, demonstrates regular creativity in developing innovative ways of completing work and resolving issues and continuously improves processes and procedures within the department.
- Responds to financial information requests and concerns of other departments including those of the Lottery Division; provides significant input into the development of departmental practices and procedures for finalization and approval.
- Resolves moderately complex, less defined accounting and financial issues using intermediate analytical techniques and conducting research to develop new ideas and support issues resolution for the department and internal customers.
- Provides informal oversight and coaching to the accountants and collaborates regularly with peers.
- Leads projects within the department and participates in interdepartmental projects assisting the finance project lead in the incorporation of new products, systems, policy and reporting into the daily operations of the department.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with internal contacts such as team members, supervisors and the Lottery sales & marketing teams to provide general advice and solutions, communicate objectives, coordinate timelines and expectations and seek assistance as required.May develop working rapport with external contacts such as vendors/suppliers, service providers/retailers and regulatory bodies to exchange information, comply with requirements and resolve some issues and escalate them as required.
- Acts as a working level technical specialist for accounting, maintaining and developing accounting knowledge and providing training and transfer of this knowledge to the accountants.Provides regular input into the development of others, jointly sets a self-development plan with supervisor but is responsible for managing own self development and taking courses as required.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
Education and Experience
- Demonstrated ability to build strong and trusting relationships with managers, employees and peers
- Strong knowledge of principles of accounting with the ability to apply them in a practical way
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to present comprehensive information in an easily understood manner ensuring other’ main points are considered and eliciting comments or feedback on information provided and check own understanding of others’ communication.
- Strong time management and multi-tasking skills with the ability to prioritize tasks and work within established deadlines and time constraints
- Ability to assist, direct and provide ongoing review on the operational activities of accountants
- Ability to act on own initiative, to exercise sound judgment and capitalize on an imminent opportunity
- Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to be self-motivated, work independently, as well as being part of a team
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking/innovation
- Working knowledge of integrated ERP financial systems (SAP)
- Working knowledge of BI data tools with the ability to develop reports and provide analysis of information provided
- Strong computer skills – MS office suite.
If this sounds like you, please apply online to Posting #2012.217-88 Intermediate Accountant (Temporary, Full-Time, 12 months).