The Payroll Specialist role works within a team environment and provides specialized senior payroll expertise and knowledge to ensure the corporate payroll function is being delivered effectively.This role is accountable for ensuring the accurate and timely delivery of payroll to BCLC employees, while increasing organizational efficiencies through the development and implementation of Payroll policies, processes and procedures.The Payroll Specialist provides expert payroll knowledge and technical support to enhance and support the payroll system, assessing organizational needs, developing and analyzing reports to support the business, and providing proactive solutions on payroll related matters.This role draws upon specialized payroll, systems and data analysis knowledge in order to respond to internal and external customers, while providing timely delivery of administration of senior payroll processes and reporting with confidentiality and discretion.
- Ensures the corporate payroll function is being processed accurately, timely and is compliant with appropriate legislation and internal BCLC policy at all times.
- Proactively conducts needs analysis based on organizational and business related needs and provides thorough thought through solutions and advice in order to respond to the identified business needs.
- Resolves complex, confidential payroll related issues; ensures change management, training and communication strategies are developed and implemented, best practices is researched andappropriate course of action is within established standards and in accordance with appropriate legislation.
- Responsible for all aspects of the payroll system, including ensuring all calculations are accurate and timely prepared.
- Conducts diverse and complex business reporting and analysis related to Human Resource and Payroll practices such as time administration, FTE, and payroll compliance.
- Provide ad hoc financial reporting related to the payroll function.
- Evaluates, adapts and develops schedules, deadlines, requests and work/project timelines and performs needs analysis to maintain and enhance BCLC’s Payroll system.
- Respond to internal and external payroll inquiries in a timely manner.
- Review and audit calculations for manual cheques prior to submission to management for approval.
- Responds to payroll inquiries in a timely, accurate and customer focus oriented manner.
- Responsible for ensuring T4s are prepared accurately and timely in accordance with CRA guidelines.
- Coordinating and ensuring the timely handling of payroll year-end.
- Administers all required senior payroll functions, including account reconciliations, general ledger updates and year end documentation.
- Work in partnership with all areas of HR to achieve corporate goals and objectives as it relates of the payroll function
- Responsible for providing a high level of customer service to all employees and internal stakeholders
Minimum Required Qualifications
Education and Experience
- Degree or Diploma in a related discipline such as payroll management, business administration or human resources.
- Completion of professional payroll certification - Canadian Payroll Manager (CPM) or Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP).
- Minimum of three to five years related Payroll and/or accounting experience, in a progressively responsible position.
- Equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
- Thorough knowledge of current payroll practices and related legal statutory requirements.
- Strong working knowledge of computerized payroll systems (SAP, an asset) and related applications, including strong report writing expertise.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work within strict deadlines and time constraints.
- Ability to effectively build relationships within various internal and external stakeholders .
- Ability to problem solve and use analytical thinking/innovation.
- Ability to work with a high degree of accuracy and superb attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills with a strong attention to detail; project management skills and meets tight timeframes and commitments and is accountable for results.
- Strong business acumen with a results oriented focus.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Believes in continuous improvement and driven to question and improve processes, systems, practices as appropriate.
- Strong ability to maintain confidentiality; possesses diplomacy and tact.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office Suite of software, particularly excel.
- Excellent customer service skills.
Please Note: This role will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found. If this sounds like you, please apply online to Posting #2013.091 Payroll Specialist.