The objective of the Database Administrator role is to assist with defining the future direction, provisioning and maintenance of all BCLC database servers and databases contained therein.
This role acts as a consultative partner by providing expertise, analysis and advice to internal stakeholders within BCLC, as well as external to the organization ensuring the maximization of database performance in order for the business to provide products and services efficiently and effectively to its customers.
- Provides diverse, complex and specialized technical and analytical services to support departmental goals.
- Resolves complex technical issues using advanced root cause analysis of database systems to determine the best course of action to restore business continuity.
- Provides significant input into future plans and strategies, assisting in management and execution of various vulnerability and risk assessment projects and makes ongoing recommendations for new approaches to technical work and broader issues resolution.
- Creates business requirements and directs product development by monitoring and collecting feedback from users and liaising with vendors to provide detailed specifications and solutions to meet business needs.
- Conducts significant research and analysis to develop creative ideas and processes for issues resolution and innovative ways to improve the performance, functionality and integrity of BCLCs gaming systems.
- Performs capacity planning to ensure sustained ability of BCLC’s products and services.
- Communicates system maintenance and upgrades to all stakeholders and executes these activities with minimal system downtime/business impact.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
Education and Experience
- University degree in an appropriate discipline or two year (with co-op) college diploma in a computer program, supplemented by industry recognized professional courses.
- Demonstrated experience in a business oriented data processing environment with a minimum of 5 years designing, managing and administering database servers and their databases.
- Experience with systems and network management is an asset.
- Experience as an application developer is an asset.
- ITIL Foundations as well as relevant practitioner certifications is considered an asset.
- OCP, MCDBA, MCITP, MCSE, LCP, CISSP, CCNA and other professional certifications are considered an asset.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated ability and experience with Oracle 10g RAC, Informix
- Demonstrated ability and experience with Redhat Enterprise Linux 5, including clustering
- Familiarity with other database platforms such as, MS SQL, MYSQL, DB2 and/or Postgress is desirable
- Hands on experience with administering and monitoring high traffic, highly available, mission critical systems
- Proficient in designing and implementing backup/ recovery and DRP strategies
- Proficient in performance tuning and index optimization
- Proficient in database security best practices and integration between systems
- Excellent SQL/PLSQL and Linux shell scripting skills
- Knowledge of enterprise SAN and disk sub systems is an asset
- Desire and proven ability to absorb, understand, and apply emerging technologies.
- Excellent understanding of business and the processes & data that support it.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking/innovation.
- Exceptional time management and multi-tasking skills.
Please Note: This role will remain open until a suitable candidate has been found.
If this sounds like you, please apply online to Posting #2013.108 Database Administrator.