Under the general supervision of the Project Manager, the General Superintendent (Tunnel) is responsible to ensure that the Eglinton Crosstown Tunnels project is completed on schedule in compliance with the contract, the job cost estimate and all the work is completed safely to acceptable standards of quality and workmanship.
· Plan and supervise the work of own forces and subcontractors on the project including determining methods of construction, manpower levels, material quantities, equipment and work schedules.
· Assume responsibility for tunnel productivity, tunnel boring machines, efficient use of materials and equipment and contractual performance of the project.
· Ensure project is constructed in compliance with drawings, specifications, project schedule and budget
· Ensure project is constructed within project quality guidelines.
· Maintain appropriate field documentation including safety records, daily progress reports, equipment usage and rental records, concrete logs, etc.
· Evaluate, select and apply tunnel related contract procedures to meet Client requirements.
· Responsible for the overall tunnel planning and scheduling to ensure that the project is constructed in a timely and cost effective manner.
· Monitors the overall progress of the project and takes corrective action where necessary.
· Represents the organization with the Client.
· Ensures that all functions and operations on the job are in compliance with local legislative requirements.
· Directs and maintains discipline and morale of the project staff.
· Ensures that Company policies and project procedures are being adhered to; including Company’s Safety and Environmental Policies.
· Ensures compliance with union agreements, if applicable.
· Reviews and provides approval of project cost reports and ensures projected job profits are accurate and current.
· Problem solving and resolution of technical site issues.
· Maintain a good working relationship with customers, consultants and subcontractors.
· Supervise and mentor tunnel technicians and engineers on site.
· Perform additional assignments per Project Manager’s direction.
Required Knowledge & Skills
· A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Masters degree preferred)
· A minimum of 12 years of construction experience, with more than 10 years of tunneling experience required including hard rock & soft ground tunneling
· Minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience
· Extensive experience (more than 10 years) in mechanized tunneling in urban areas, including experience in scheduling mechanized tunnel projects
· Minimum of 10 years of experience with earth pressure balance (EPB) tunnel boring machines (TBMs) of 6 meters in diameter or larger; must include experience in transportation, lifting, assembly and disassembly
· Experience with the logistical setup of a TBM tunnel project, including but not limited to TBM cradles and launching frames, tunnel utilities, ventilation and rail
· Elaboration of tunneling work method statements
· Solid understanding of ground conditioning and TBM ground conditioning systems
· Experience with TBM two part grout injection systems
· Extensive experience with EPB TBMs operated above 2.5 bar pressure
· Experience with TBM vacuum erection systems
· Experience with the coordination of TBM hyperbaric interventions
· Experience with tunnel continuous conveyor systems, including belt assembly and extension
· Extensive experience managing tunnel related subcontractors and suppliers, and dealing with union relations
· Excellent command of the English language, with excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to read and understand construction drawings and specifications, computer literate
· Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
· Ability to maintain organization and work efficiently in a fast paced environment
Compensation & Benefits:
Benefits include eligible health, dental, life insurance, AD&D, EAP, short-term and long-term disability insurance, pension and RRSP plan, vision care, bonus, and mileage reimbursement.
The salary range for this position is $130,000 to $140,000 per year.
NOTE: This is a full time, permanent position.
Aecon Business Address:
20 Carlson Court, Suite 800